Saturday, December 8, 2012

how well do you cope with Traumatic Life Events??



Many times people with a chronic illness or who have had traumatic experience talk not only about the negative things,but also of the positive things that have happened to them as a result of their illness or experience.Below is a list of some of these positive things .On scale of 0 ( this did not happen to me) to 4 ( I am experienced a great of  this) indicates  the degree to which each occurred in your life as a result of your illness or traumatic experience.

---------1.        I learned to look at things in a more positive way
---------2.        I learned that I am stronger than I thought I was
---------3.        I learned to be more optimistic
---------4.        I realized how much my family cared for me
---------5.        I learned to be more confident in myself
---------6.        I learned to approach my life more calmly
---------7.        I have more compassion for others
---------8.        Now I can handle difficulties
---------9.        I learned to work through my problems and not to give up
---------10.    My relationship with my family became more important
---------11.    I learned to find more meaning in life
---------12.    my faith in God increased
---------13.    My relationship with my family became more meaningful
---------14.    my life has more meaning and satisfaction
---------15.    I learned to appreciate the strength of others who have difficult times
---------16.    I learned to live for today ,because you never know what will happen tomorrow
---------17.    My confidence in God increased
---------18.    Now I know that I can count on my friends in difficult times
---------19.    I learned to deal better with uncertainty
---------20.    I learned to be more present


Scoring

To find your Thriving score ,simply add together your responses to the twenty items.

Norms

Score       Percentile
74            85
67            70
60            50
53            30
46            15





…One of the most interesting and one of the most hopeful,discoveries these researchers have made it that so many people do experience positive changes when they struggle with adversaries…..this says something remarkable about the human spirit,that so many people can find meaning in their lives when their illness or trauma must seem capricious.If you are among the many people who cants find anything positive in life shortly after traumatic experience, you should not give up.we know this line of invaluable research that as long as people are persistent, and as long as they they continue to struggle with the meaning of their experience they are likely to find the meaning…for some fortunate few,this process may be both sudden and spontaneous , while for others it will require much effort and time.While the pain may never completely disappear,people can find a new sense of strength and renewed appreciation for life as long as they are willing to make the effort.



By Louis Janda,Ph.d

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...